May is National Preservation Month. It is a time to celebrate our community's cultural heritage and those individuals who champion, educate, advocate, and promote those places that matter to us. Here at Preserve Minneapolis we have a number of activities and tours planned in honor of Preservation Month. To start the month off, we will be participating in the Jane Walk's taking place across the country. After a quick social hour, the group will explore and make observations like Jane Jacobs once did on the way to watch the premier screening of Citizen Jane at the Lagoon Theater. We are excited to partner with the Women's Club on Dandelion Day to host an InstaMeet at the Ard Godfrey House, the oldest surviving wood frame house in Minneapolis. To wrap it up, we are hosting an Evening Exploration at the Mill Rite Lofts. I would encourage you to check out our event calendar to see all of the upcoming Preservation Month events.
In addition, join us for the Heritage Preservation Awards luncheon on May 18th at 11:30 AM at International Market Square, Suite 185, Minneapolis. Preserve Minneapolis, the Minneapolis HPC, and AIA Minneapolis team together each year to host the awards program which honors those individuals, residents, and teams that are bringing preservation activities to the forefront in our community. For more information on the event and to purchase tickets for the luncheon visit the Minnesota AIA Chapter website. To read more about this years award recipients check out our recent blog post.
Finally, the National Trust for Historic Preservation uses May to promote historic buildings and sites through their This Place Matters campaign. All across America, people are taking photographs of their favorites buildings and sites, showing their support for preservation. We encourage you to photograph your favorite Minneapolis buildings and heritage sites throughout May and post them to social media with the hashtags #preserveminneapolis and #thisplacematters.
We hope to see you at all of our Preserve Minneapolis events this month. Happy Preservation Month everyone!
- Mar 14, 2018 Deep Dive into Minneapolis Music History Mar 14, 2018
- Oct 18, 2017 Uptown’s Sons of Norway Building: A Landmark of Norwegian-American Heritage Oct 18, 2017
- Sep 7, 2017 Peavey Plaza: A Modernist Oasis in Minneapolis Sep 7, 2017
- Sep 5, 2017 Minneapolis Highways and Byways Worth Preserving Sep 5, 2017
- Jun 15, 2017 Summer Walking Tour Series Jun 15, 2017
- Jun 2, 2017 The Prairie School-A Protest Movement Jun 2, 2017
- May 29, 2017 NEBL's Fight to Protect the St. Anthony Falls Historic District May 29, 2017
- May 15, 2017 125 Years of Wesley May 15, 2017
- May 10, 2017 Preservation Month May 10, 2017
- May 9, 2017 2017 Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Awards May 9, 2017
- May 1, 2017 Minneapolis Grain Exchange May 1, 2017
- Apr 26, 2017 Fucci Murals Inspire Citizen Preservation Calls Apr 26, 2017
- Apr 17, 2017 Evening Exploration: Chicago Avenue Fire Arts Center Apr 17, 2017
- Apr 9, 2017 We Still Need Your Expertise Apr 9, 2017
- Apr 8, 2017 Call for Nominations Apr 8, 2017
- Mar 20, 2017 Elizabeth C. Quinlan: Woman Pioneer in the World of Business Mar 20, 2017
- Mar 6, 2017 Tilsenbilt Homes Historic District Honors Nation’s First “Open” Housing Development Mar 6, 2017
- Feb 27, 2017 A Message from the Minneapolis Riverfront Partnership: Feb 27, 2017
- Feb 6, 2017 Hennepin Made Instameet Recap Feb 6, 2017
- Jan 23, 2017 Homewood Bound: North Minneapolis’ Latest Historic District Designation Jan 23, 2017
- Jan 7, 2017 Our Favorite Lesser-Known Historic Buildings in Minneapolis Jan 7, 2017
- Dec 18, 2016 Evolution of Minneapolis Parks Dec 18, 2016
- Dec 6, 2016 Call for volunteers – we need your expertise and help! Dec 6, 2016
- Nov 25, 2016 Thanksgiving Thoughts Nov 25, 2016
- Nov 2, 2016 The Falls: Powering Minneapolis Nov 2, 2016
- Oct 25, 2016 St. Anthony Falls: The Birthplace of Minneapolis Oct 25, 2016